We adapted this recipe from the website allrecipes.com. See original at http://allrecipes.asia/recipe/635/asparagus-cashew-rice-pilaf.aspx
· ¼ cup butter
· 2 ounces uncooked rice spaghetti, broken
· ½ teaspoon minced garlic
· 1 ¼ cups uncooked jasmine rice
· 2 ¼ cups vegetable broth
· salt and pepper to taste
· ½ pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
· ½ cup cashew halves, fried in ghee
1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Increase heat to medium, and stir in spaghetti,
cooking until coated with the melted butter and lightly browned.
2. Stir garlic into the saucepan, and cook about 2 minutes, until tender. Stir in jasmine rice, and cook about 5
minutes. Pour in vegetable broth. Season mixture with salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and
cook 20 minutes, until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed.
3. Place asparagus in a separate medium saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until
tender but firm.
· Mix asparagus into the rice mixture, and serve warm
· Offer cashew halves on the side as a garnish
A nice touch is to accompany recipe with Armenian/Persian pickles or tourshi. Recipe for tourshi is at http://shahrzaad.wordpress.com/2008/11/25/iranian-recipe-torshipickle/