Carrot raita is a tasty side dish that adds beta carotene to your meal and colour to your plate. Pair it with Daikon Sabji with Mustard Greens. The daikon will help you absorb the beta carotene.
- 1 cup raw carrots
- 2 Tbs ghee
- ½ tsp black mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 pinch hing
- 1 Tb cilantro, chopped
- ½ small green chili, chopped fine
- 1 small handful cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ¼ tsp salt
- Wash the carrots and grate medium fine.
- Stir the carrots into the yogurt and mix gently.
- Heat the ghee in a small saucepan and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and hing.
- Stir until the seeds pop, then add the chilli and cilantro.
- Remove from the heat.
- Mix the cooked spices and the salt into the yogurt/carrot mix.
Source: Usha & Vasant Lad, Ayurvedic Cooking for Self-Healing (New Mexico, The Ayurvedic Press, 1994).