Mint Chutney with Tridoshic Yam Kitcheri
The perfect accompaniment to kitcheri is Mint Chutney. This refreshing condiment stimulates digestion, comforts your taste buds and adds to meal satisfaction. As you come off your pancha karma or kitcheri cleanse, begin adding Mint Chutney alongside Cleansing Kitcheri, Tridoshic Yam Kitcheri or Kitcheri with Cauliflower and Peas.
Makes approximately 2 cups
3 cups fresh mint leaves
1 cup water
1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
½ small green chilli, chopped
1" piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped fine
1 Tb ghee
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp black mustard seeds
1 pinch hing
4 curry leaves
¼ tsp salt
- Wash the mint leaves and discard long stems.
- Put the mint, water, coconut, chilli and ginger into a blender and blend on medium until it is a well mixed and finely ground paste.
- Heat a saucepan on medium and add the ghee, cumin seeds, mustard, hing and curry leaves. Cook until the seeds pop.
- Cool and add to the mint paste.
- Squeeze in the juice from the lime.
- Add salt and stir well.
- Store in refrigerator, keeps for 2-3 days.
Source: Usha & Vasant Lad, Ayurvedic Cooking for Self-Healing (New Mexico, The Ayurvedic Press, 1994).