Chile relleños is a delicious meal, yet for those of us who are vegan or don't eat eggs, it's a treat we haven't been able to relish. Now guest blogger Savitri offers us vegan relleños full of healthy veggies!
- 4 poblano peppers
- 3 zucchinis, shredded
- 3 carrots, shredded
- ¼ cup raisins
- 2 tsp. coconut oil (if you are not vegan you may use ghee)
- ¼ tsp. fennel seeds
- ¼ tsp. cumin powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking oil as needed (ghee or coconut oil)
Step 1: Roasting the peppers:
- Wash the peppers and set oven on broil.
- Pour some oil over the peppers and put them in the oven.
- Allow the skins to blister and blacken.
- When they are roasted well, close them up in a paper bag so that the skins soften.
- Peel the peppers, discarding the skins.
- In a pan, sauté the spices for 8 seconds, except the paper and salt.
- Add the zucchini. After 5 minutes, add the carrots.
- In a different pan, put some coconut oil or ghee, and cook the raisins until they get big. Add to the zucchini and carrots.
- Let it cook for another 5 minutes.
Step 3: Prepare the sauce!
1 cup of soaking pistachios
1 cup of water
¼ cup kefir or yogurt
¼ tsp. cumin
1 garlic clove
2 tsp. rice flour
salt and pepper
- In a pan, toast the rice flour until it has a light golden color.
- Put all the ingredients in the blender.
- Turn the oven on at 325 F
- Stuff the chillies.
- Grease a Pyrex pan and place the chiles inside.
- Pour about 1/4 of the sauce over each chile.
Alakananda Ma is a Certified Ayurvedic Doctor (NAMA) and graduate of a top London medical school. She is co-founder of Alandi Ayurveda Clinic and Alandi Ayurveda Gurukula in Boulder Colorado, as well as a spiritual mother, teacher, flower essence maker and storyteller. Alakananda is well known and highly respected in the Ayurveda community both nationally and internationally.
Enliven your holistic health! Book an ayurvedic consultation with Alakananda Ma to support the overall rejuvenation of your body, mind, and spirit. In-person and phone appointments available. Book now!