Chokecherry and Crab Apple Chutney
This is a right brained recipe—eyeball quantities yourself!
Crab apples (about 1/3 the 3volume of the chokecherries)
Jaggery or raw sugar
Raisins or currants
1.Boil chokecherries with a little water.
2.Cut up crab apples, removing cores.
3.Separately stew crab apples.
4.Mash chokecherries with potato masher, stain through large sieve, add liquid to stewing crab apples.
5. Repeat step 4 for a total of four times until all good stuff is extracted from chokecherries.
6. Add raisins or currant and sugar or jaggery to fruit mix and gently let it cook, stirring well to prevent burning. It will become jam-like.
7. Chop ginger and chillies, grind spices.
8. Heat ghee in a pan and make a tarkar by frying the spices, ginger and chillies.
9. Add to jam mix.
10. Add a little salt to bring out the flavours.
11. Offer to God and Guru.
12. Taste….you may need to add more sweetener to offset the sourness!
13. Serve with rice& dal, kitcheri